M is for Machias
Rose Gaffney School Home Page
View the Breakfast/Lunch Menus
Local Sites & Search Engines
Contact/ EmailFaculty



Rose M. Gaffney

A brief history of her life and our school.
Did you ever wonder how our school received its name?

Rose Mabel Gaffney was born in East Machias, Maine
in 1878. She graduated from Washington Academy and began her teaching career in the Machias school system in 1897. She graduated from Washington State Normal School (UMM) in 1916. Rose continued to teach until her retirement in 1939. She served on the Machias School Committee from 1941-1952 and continued her work in local schools as a substitute teacher. Rose Gaffney is remembered for her love of teaching and poetry. She received a citation for Meritorious Service to Education and to the Youth of Maine from the Washington State Teachers College (UMM) in 1952. She died in 1959.
The Town of Machias decided in the early 1950's that it was time to build a new elementary school. Two of the elementary schools that served Machias, the Rawson School (now the home of the Sunrise Workshop) and the Hemenway School (now the Machias Town Office) were overcrowded and needed major repairs. The new Elementary School, as it was originally called, welcomed its first students on September 10, 1956. Students from Marshfield and Roque Bluffs attended school in Machias for the first time.

In the mid-1980's, it was decided to close the Campus School (UMM) and the Hillgrove School (Whitneyville). The Rose M. Gaffney School was expanded to accommodate the new students and improve services to all the students. In 1986 the newly renovated RMG opened its doors. The expansion included new classrooms for the kindergarten and 1st grade, an entire two-story wing to provide new space for the Middle School students, a new gym, music room and library.


HomeLunch|Links| Web Mail Client| Administration| Athletics| Calendar|Contact/Faculty|Fine Arts| History| Programs|PTA    Round N About| Internet Policy